Sunday, October 12, 2025

When Keeping the Peace Costs True Peace


 

When Keeping the Peace Costs True Peace

This week, I’ve been reflecting on what it truly means to be a peacemaker. For years, I thought keeping the peace was the same as making peace...but they are very different things.

There are times in life when tension quietly brews beneath the surface. You sense it in conversations that feel a little off, in decisions that never seem fully resolved, or in relationships where honesty is replaced with polite avoidance. The intention is good, no one wants conflict, but the cost of “keeping the peace” often becomes heavier than the conflict itself.

“Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God.”
— Matthew 5:9

This verse doesn’t say “blessed are the peacekeepers.” It says peacemakers, those who are willing to do the hard, holy work of addressing what’s broken so healing can begin. Peacemaking takes courage because it means stepping into discomfort instead of running from it.

Recently, I faced a situation where peacekeeping took precedence over peacemaking. Out of a desire to avoid confrontation and preserve harmony, difficult conversations were delayed, then forgotten. The result was a surface-level calm that looked peaceful but didn’t feel peaceful.

As time went on, I realized that silence and avoidance don’t resolve tension; they simply bury it. And buried things don’t disappear; they grow roots.

“They dress the wound of my people as though it were not serious. ‘Peace, peace,’ they say, when there is no peace.”
— Jeremiah 6:14

That verse hit me hard this week. It’s easy to believe that avoiding conflict protects relationships, when in truth, it can quietly erode them. Real peace doesn’t come from pretending everything is fine; it comes from bringing the truth into the light with love and humility.

After much prayer, I knew it was time for me to step back from something I’ve poured years of my heart into. It wasn’t an easy decision; it felt like closing a long and beautiful chapter. But sometimes walking away is the only way to make room for God to bring genuine peace where human effort has failed.

“If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone.”
— Romans 12:18

That verse reminds me that we can only do our part. We can approach others with grace, speak truth in love, and release the outcome to God. The rest is not ours to carry.

This experience has taught me that while peacekeeping may look gentle on the outside, peacemaking, real, heart-level peacemaking, is what changes lives. One smooths over the surface; the other heals from within.

So, as I turn this page, I’m holding onto a simple truth:
Peacekeeping avoids the storm. Peacemaking invites God into it.

And when He steps in, even the hardest goodbyes can become the beginning of something new and whole.

No comments:

Post a Comment