Wednesday, July 16, 2025

Board Work Behind the Scenes: Why I Still Volunteer Post-Homeschooling

 


When my youngest graduated in 2023, I thought I might finally slow down. After all, I had homeschooled both of my children for 17 years—an entire season of life poured into lesson plans, read-alouds, math tears, field trips, co-op days, and everything in between.

But just as I was preparing to hang up my “homeschool mom” hat, the board I served on was going through a season of transition and desperately needed support. Our group had exploded during and after COVID, as many families turned to homeschooling - some out of necessity, others by choice. We suddenly found ourselves fielding the same 500 questions every single day. Families were overwhelmed. New homeschoolers were searching for support, resources, and reassurance. So, we took action.

We built a handbook, a months-long project that involved writing, editing, fact-checking, and collaborating. I also designed and launched our group’s website, allowing interested families to easily access information and connect with us. It was a massive project, especially considering I was also recovering from two spinal surgeries in the same year. But I kept going. Not because I had to, but because I wanted to.

Today, I still head up our homeschool co-op, which ranges from 200 to 300 student participants and their parents. Co-op isn’t just a casual drop-in gathering. It takes meticulous planning, scheduling, coordination, and communication. And like the rest of the board, I’m a volunteer. None of us is paid for our time, and yet we give hours every week to make this group function. Because we know how much it matters.

Our co-op, like most, relies on participating parents to volunteer in some capacity. Whether it’s teaching a class, cleaning up after an event, or helping supervise activities, it takes everyone. But someone has to organize all that. Someone has to answer emails, arrange classes, manage waitlists, update the website, oversee the budget, and ensure that everyone feels seen, heard, and supported. That “someone” is the board. That’s where I come in.

So even though my kids have “graduated” from this world, I’ve stayed. I’m in the in-between season now—no longer an active homeschool mom, not quite an empty nester emotionally, but still deeply connected to this community. And I stay because I love it. I love the families. I love seeing the kids smile at co-op, exploring new subjects, laughing with their friends, and proudly showing off their projects. They’re always a little sad when co-op ends... and honestly, that motivates me to start planning the next one.

But more than that, I stay because I remember what it felt like to be new and overwhelmed. I was once the mom with two young kids and no idea what I was doing. Back in 2006, homeschooling wasn’t a trendy choice. It wasn’t mainstream. It certainly wasn’t supported. I got plenty of scoffs and side-eyes:

  • “Why would you want to homeschool?”
  • “Are you even qualified to teach your kids?”
  • “Isn’t that kind of... weird?”

People would quiz my children with random trivia, trying to trip them up as if their ability to answer would prove my worth. Others would say, “I could never be around my kids that much.” *Insert eye roll here.*

But I kept going, and I eventually found a community. That community helped shape our homeschool journey. It gave us field trips, friends, support, and strength. It gave me the courage to keep showing up. And now, I want to be that same source of support for today’s families.

So, how long will I keep doing this? I don’t know. I’ll serve until I’m no longer needed, or until God nudges me in a new direction. But until then, I’ll continue to give what I can, when I can.

Because the truth is, the parents need support just as much as the kids do.

And if I can help even one mom breathe a little easier, feel a little more capable, or smile a little bigger—I’ll gladly stay behind the scenes, doing what I love.

No comments:

Post a Comment