Friday, February 21, 2014

The Silent Illness

So I started this blog when we moved from Mobile to Elizabeth City with the hopes of documenting our new life journey for our friends we had to leave.  From the day we arrived, it has been a whirlwind.  I don't have much time for anything anymore.  In fact, just this week, our house went without milk for 4 days cause I just couldn't get to the store!  lol 

Anyways, I wanted to finally sit down and write about something that has been heavy on my heart lately.  I'm sure several of you have seen my posts on Facebook recently.  Some have even messaged me, asking what happened.  It's such a touchy subject nobody wants to talk about.  It's uncomfortable, upsetting, confusing, awkward, shameful...just to name a few.  I'm talking about Mental Illness and Suicide.  It has affected our family directly twice in the past year and a half.  How do you begin to explain it to your kids when you can't fully wrap your mind around it yourself?!  Mental Illness is an illness just like the flu or cancer, but most of society does not see it that way.  It's a silent internal struggle with one's thoughts.  With the flu or cancer there are cures, unlike mental illness.  It's something you learn to live with, whether it be through therapy or prescription meds.  I'm no doctor, I have not studied psychiatry, but I have seen how it has affected several people.  It's a daily struggle.  Nothing is ever black or white.  There is no answer.  A lot of sufferers seem like they have it all together.  They've learned to hide it very well.  They are ashamed.  When the public says that an individual is "Mental" they are really saying they're crazy, right?  Why would anyone out their secret illness then?  I think it is our job to educate ourselves, to help those in need and not judge.  NAMI is a good starting point.

Please watch this short video about depression.  If everyone was a little more compassionate and understanding, their struggle may not seem so immense.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XiCrniLQGYc



"Suicide does not end the chances of life getting worse.  It eliminates the possibility of life ever getting better." 

Although our hearts ache with the loss of our loved ones, it is nothing to be ashamed of.  It happened, we can't change it, but we can educate ourselves and help others so that nobody has to struggle with hiding depression or deal with the impact suicide leaves behind.

Rest in Peace Clint and Charlie!  We Love and Miss You!

Ashlyn, Clint and Chason
12/13/56-11/19/12

Charlie (top left) with the family at Tarah's wedding
12/11/81-2/7/14

We plan on attending this walk at Mount Trashmore
September 6, 2014
Please join us and 
Make a difference!

No comments:

Post a Comment